Community Retail Network
From small communities seeking to retain their local shop, post office or petrol pumps to larger urban areas trying to provide better access to affordable, fresh, healthy food – community ownership can offer a sustainable, long-term solution.
The Network aims to support and develop community owned retailing and we do this by:
• Supporting existing community owned shops and retail enterprises
• Helping to set up new ones
• Sharing knowledge and good practice
• Promoting and representing community retailers
Growing out of the work and commitment of a founding group of community co-operatives, the Network was established in 2004 with the aim of supporting and promoting sustainable community-owned shops.
It is a company limited by guarantee with one part-time member of staff and a board of voluntary directors elected by our membership. CRN works closely with The Co-operative Group, The Plunkett Foundation (which supports community shops in England and Wales) and Co-operative Development Scotland.
Community shops are successful community enterprises that are:
• Owned and run by the community
• Meeting local needs by providing a shop, post office, fuel or other services
• Providing jobs for local people
• Improving access to good quality, fresh food
• Offering outlets for local produce
• Acting as a focal point for the community
• Viable through trading income
See list of community shops, http://www.communityretailing.co.uk/shops.html
Guide to setting up and running a community-owned shop, http://guide.communityretailing.co.uk/
For more info, contact:
Printable view | Share This