* Please note this profile is listed here for archive purposes. MeAL has unfortunately been liquidated *
Multi Ethnic Aberdeen Limited (MeAL) is a registered charity and a non-profit distributing company limited by guarantee, committed to promoting and raising the visibility of ethnic individuals, business owners and organisations in the North of Scotland.
MeAL aims to promote and encourage a harmonious society in the North East of Scotland that is multi-ethnic, multi-racial, and multi-faith, and to work towards the social, educational, economic and cultural equality of all cultures.
We intend achieving this through community network and involvement, organisational development, research, inter-agency co-ordination service delivery, referral and advocacy while working with the public and private sectors and the diverse ethnic communities
MeAL has evolved from the constant and regular involvement of Aberdeen Scotland Africa Link (ASAL) in successfully organising numerous activities and projects (since 1996) aimed to promote tolerance and multiculturalism in Aberdeen / Aberdeenshire. MeAL intends to build on the work of ASAL and respond to the demand created by its success by having a wider remit and generally serving the different ethnic groups in the area.
What we do
Cultural & Leisure Activities:
Cultural Festivals & Events, Music, Drop in Café, Exhibitions, Performances, Workshops, Cookery Demonstrations, Sports Activities, International Exchange Programs, Ethnic games, Storytelling, Drama, Dance Troupe, etc.
Information, Advocacy & Community Development:
Resource area, Job Club / Fair, Research Development, IT Access, Internet Facilities, Networking, Talks, Lectures, Conferences, Seminars, Advice Surgeries, Debates, Cultural Awareness, Training, Consultancy, Youth Activities, Books, Videos, Educational Activities, Bulk Photocopying, Community Based Services and Projects, Referral, Business Support, etc.
Space for Hire:
Rehearsal Space, Office Space, Meeting Rooms, Gallery, Venue, etc.
Media & Publishing:
Radio Broadcasting; Publication of Newspaper, Directory, Cookery Fact Sheets / Recipe Books, Calendars, Greeting cards, Journals; etc.
Some of our Current Initiatives
· Me FM 105.8 - Pilot of a Multi Ethnic Community Radio
· Echo Me - Multi Ethnic Community Newspaper covering the North of Scotland
· Aberdeen Multi Cultural Festival - annual event promoting cultural diversity
· Aberdeen Inter-Cultural Sports Challenge - annual sporting events promoting tolerance and team work
· Ethnic Directory - detailed information on ethnic organisations & businesses in the North of Scotland (anticipate first edition out by end of 2001)
· Celebrations of 'Africa Liberation Day' annually through debates, cultural show, discussion programs, etc.
We anticipate reasonable earned income to be generated from some of our projects and this will be used to further our objectives with part of it donated to good causes in the ethnic communities.
Some of our achievements to date
· Since 1994, group members have been involved in organising festivals, events, projects, seminars, workshops, conferences, talks, debates promoting tolerance, multiculturalism and increasing the visibility of ethnic people. The most popular ones are the annual Aberdeen Multi Cultural Festival, Africa Day Celebrations and the Inter Cultural Sports Activities.
· In 1997, raised over £30k (including non-cash contributions) through Aberdeen Scotland Africa Link for diverse projects, activities and festivals – all very successful.
· MeAL nominated for the Aberdeen City Council 'Equal Opportunities Award' 2000.
· MeAL received funding to start a pilot of the first 'Ethnic Community Radio' in the North of Scotland.
· Individual attainments of members of the group – both past & current members.
· Raised funds to support 'the School for the Blind' in Nigeria.
· Helped raise funds during the 'Mozambique Flood Appeal'.
· A member of the Group was invited to Buckingham Palace by the Queen in recognition for contribution to Commonwealth Countries / activities in the UK.
· Production of professional videos on African culture & festivals, which were sold to the public.
· Received to date, an estimated 3,200 hours of volunteer assistance from the community.
· Pioneered a successful multi ethnic community radio and 'Echo Me' - a multicultural community newspaper.
· Support towards a School building project in Gambia.
For further information, contact:
Multi Etnic Aberdeen Ltd
15/17 Belmont Street
Tel: +44(01224) 645268
Fax: +44(01224) 645211
Printable view | Share This