I Am Bikes
I Am Bikes (IAB) is an organisation based in Cumbernauld that actively supports cycling within the community. They recycle and refurbish bikes, organise cycling groups, run cycling maintenance classes, and generally promote cycling in as many ways as possible. IAB also provides skills, training and employment opportunities for local people. They see cycling as a great community sport and leisure pastime and a method of raising fitness and family interaction.
The individuals within the local community, who benefit from the project, include:
- Children are encouraged to recycle their old bikes and think about the environmental impact of old bikes for new;
- Parents and Carers can source a used bike for their children;
- Children are encouraged to get outdoors and participate in cycling as a healthy past time and activity. IAB plan to soon offer mountain biking and bmx classes in addition to family cycling clubs for all ages;
- Over 45's are actively encouraged to join our “Overs Keeping it Fit Cycling Club”;
- Women are encouraged to take a more active interest in sport and increase health and wellbeing through activity and community cycling. IAB’s family cycling club encourages mums, grans and great-grans to get fit and join the cycling community.
IAB support the aims of the Cycling Action Plan for Scotland and aim to get more people cycling more often, and contribute to the vision of the Scottish Government that by 2020 10% of all journeys take in Scotland will be by bicycle.
IAB also sell pre-owned, serviced bikes with a 60 day warranty, run a part exchange scheme allowing people to swap their current bike for another pre-owned bike, and accept donations of old or unwanted bikes. They pick up for free and recycle as many bikes and spare bike parts as possible.
For more information contact:
10 Kelvin Road
Lenziemill Industrial Est
Cumbernauld, G67 2BA
Printable view | Share This