Search Senscot
Profiles Links

Pollokshaws Burgh Hall

Pollokshaws Burgh Hall is a category ‘A’ listed building located opposite the entrance to Pollok Country Park, where the Burrell Collection is housed.
Described as “the stateliest and most conspicuous building in Pollokshaws”, the Burgh Hall was built and paid for by Sir John Stirling Maxwell and was completed in time to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Jubilee. Sir John gifted the building in perpetuity for the benefit of the people of Pollokshaws to the then Town Council. 
The cost of construction was estimated at £20,000 by the time of its opening in 1898, and Stirling Maxwell also contributed towards its upkeep until Pollokshaws was annexed by Glasgow in 1912. Various carvings of monograms and mottoes relating to the benefactor’s family can be found in the building.  
The building was designed by Robert Rowland Anderson in 1895-98 with a date stone of 1897. It is said that he based his design on the Old College buildings of the University of Glasgow in High Street, with the tower and the use of crow-stepped gables the most obvious similarities. The large hall has a capacity of about 200, the small hall holds 120 and there are a number of side rooms.
After a closure in the late 1990s the management and running of the hall was taken over in October 2000 by the Pollokshaws Burgh Hall Trust, a local group of volunteers. With help from Glasgow City Council, both by way of works and funding, the building has steadily been brought into use on behalf of the people of Pollokshaws for whom it was originally built.
In early 2008 the Scottish Cinema Organ Trust began installation of a large Wurlitzer theatre pipe organ in the hall with a view to inaugurating regular musical shows - concerts, tea dances, silent movies with organ accompaniment and other similar events.
The hall is available for lets for a variety of different functions - weddings, christenings, parties, conferences, dances, concerts, etc.
For further info, contact:
Pollokshaws Burgh Hall
2025 Pollokshaws Rd
G43 1NE
Tel: 0141 632 5811

Printable view | Share This

Company Registration No. 278156. Scottish Charity No. SC 029210